Carrot Noodles in Orange-Ginger Glaze
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 3-4 carrots, peeled & sliced into "noodles"
- 1 tbsp butter or oil (or use clarified butter)
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups orange juice, low or no pulp
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ⅓ cup parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
- Melt butter or heat oil over medium heat. Add sugar and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until sugar has melted. Add ginger and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to keep from burning
- Add orange juice and orange zest and heat sauce for 10-12 minutes until it has reduced to ½ cup and is at a syrupy consistency.
- While glaze is reducing, peel the carrots and discard the peel. Using the same peeler, continue peeling down into long, noodle-like strips until the whole carrot is gone. Turn the carrot if the slices are too big or too wide. The peeled slices should have the size and thickness of wide pasta noodles
Assemble & Serve
- Add the “carrot pasta” to the hot glaze. Add salt to taste. Cover and steam everything for 3-5 minutes or until carrots have softened
- Carefully mix the dish and add chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve as a side dish or entree